Listen in as Dianne de Las Casas talks about her original promotion of Picture Book Month in November – and how to create a movement.
During Dianne’s promotion of the first Picture Book Month last November, the month-long event was featured on Oprah.com and HuffingtonPost.com as well as many major offline media.
Here are a few of her tips regarding the promotion of a month-long event or any movement:
- The movement is successful when people think the movement has always existed.
- Created badges so people can become Picture Book Month ambassadors.
- Schools and libraries created celebrations where they read a picture book every day.
- Motto: Think global, act local.
- Don’t be afraid to contact really big people in your field.
- I’m a great believer in hand-written thank-you notes.
5 Tips on How to Create a Movement
To create excitement for a cause, you need a few things in place:
- You need passion. A genuine passion and a love for your cause is of utmost importance. Your tireless passion is the fuel for the movement.
- Find others who share that passion. Social media is a good place to connect with like-minded people. Build a tribe.
- You need to have a balance of news makers and news reporters. The news makers are the celebrities people want to read about. The news reporters are the people who evangelize the cause. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and connect with someone who is both a news maker and news reporter. Rejoice in that! :)
- A strong network is very important. Without this network to spread the news, there is no news. Your vision must be backed up by a solid plan.
- Be prepared to work. Movements need leaders and leaders must work.
About the Author: Dianne de Las Casas
Dianne de Las Casas is an author of picture books as well as books for educators and librarians. She is the founder of Picture Book Month, an international literacy initiative that celebrates the print picture book during the month of November.
Dianne is also a professional storyteller, an international speaker, literacy advocate, world traveler, lifelong learner and mom of two successful daughters, a 21-year-old illustrator and an 11-year-old professional kid chef/author.
Dianne’s author website: http://www.storyconnection.net
Dianne on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/fanofdianne
Dianne on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/storyconnection
Dianne on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/storyconnection
Picture Book Month website: http://www.picturebookmonth.com
Book Marketing Makeover: Promoting November As Picture Book Month – http://blog.bookmarket.com/2011/12/book-marketing-makeover-promoting.html
Sample promotional month calendar . . .